Tuesday, August 9, 2022

Why Should You Care

 People are always going to voice an opinion about every aspect of your life. It's an unfortunate fact. The way you cut and color (or don't color) your hair, the way you cook, how old your clothes are, how you design your home, etc. Unfortunately, everything in your life that is visible on social media or that you tell someone is out there for the world to scrutinize. It doesn't even matter if what you said was taken out of context. The fact is that when anything regarding your life leaves your lips or is shared online, it becomes public knowledge and there isn't a damn thing you can do about.

Now, I know that when someone says something we don't like, it stings a bit. And then we feel that hot wave of anger or heavy feeling of sadness build up. But why do we let people's opinions affect us in such a big way? Why do we allow their words to carry so much weight? Yes, some people play more important roles in our lives (spouses, parents, best friends) so their opinions will have more meaning. So what?

We choose which opinions affect us. We control if we ignore, yell, cry, or shrug our shoulders. Even if the words surprise you or make you so mad that you can't see straight, why should you care what someone said? Why would you give that person the power to choose what YOU feel? Honestly it doesn't matter who's mouth the statement comes out of, you control how something affects you. If I just bought a pair of goalkeeper gloves that I am absolutely in love with, and Kasey Keller (my idol) looked at them and said, “Why did you buy those? Those are ridiculous.” All due respect to Kasey Keller, but I don't care. I made the decision and am confident in my decision so why should I allow someone's words to affect how I feel.

You were confident in yourself to act on a decision. You used the strength in your character to say what you said. Don't back down and cower away just because someone had something to say; good, bad or indifferent. Use your confidence and strength to stand up and keep moving forward. Other people shouldn't have the power to choose your emotions, so don't give it away. Be in control of your life. Be unshaken in your confidence and strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment