Tuesday, August 9, 2022

Why I Don't Celebrate Mother's Day

 I know I must be a bit odd for not seeing the importance of Mother's Day (or Father's Day for that matter) but it's just so materialistic. I see complaints all over social media about mothers not receiving gifts or flowers on their special Mother's Day. Or they're upset that a few days before their spouse decided to make plans with friends instead of planning something special for them on their special day. Or (the coup de gras) they didn't think the gift they received was good enough.

So why do I not hold stock in Mother's Day?

Seriously people?! You need another birthday or Christmas?! Why is it important to be “shown” that you are appreciated as a mother ONE DAY out of the year??

Now please understand that I do think mothers and fathers are extremely important. As I've said before, as a parent no one can do what you do for your child. Sure, someone else can kiss the boo boo on their knee after they fall off their bike but it's not going to be the same and your child will still seek out your kiss to make it better.

Think about it for a second. How many times a day do we yell at our kids or spouses to clean up after themselves, eat all their dinner, or hound them to finish their work? And of course they eventually do it (begrudgingly) and the world that is your household keeps spinning. But then when they get that A on their report card, rave about what you made for dinner, or clean the dishes and the kitchen, you smile and feel the warmth in your heart. That is the appreciation that matters. You know you're doing a good job as a parent when your family doesn't want for anything, your kids run to tell you something exciting or even sad, and best of all is that your family likes to hang out with you sometimes.

In all seriousness, if you really feel the need to have your existence as a mother acknowledged on top of being celebrated on your birthday and thought of for a gift on Christmas, then it's time for some self-reflection. I don't know about you, but I really don't want my kids feeling forced to help me in the kitchen or spend time with me just because it's Mother's Day and they have to act as if they like me. Is it fair for someone who has abusive and neglectful parents to “appreciate” them with gifts and adornment on Mother's or Father's Day?

Now I know that my family loves and appreciates me. Break away from the hold these unimportant plastic and metal things have on you and focus on the ones who matter. 50 years from now, laying back, knowing that my kids grew up to be functioning adults in society with a good head on their shoulders and strength and love in their hearts sounds like pretty good appreciation to me.

You cannot be replaced. Be confident in yourself as a parent and know that you are worth more than something purchased. Be unshaken in your self worth.

No comments:

Post a Comment