Tuesday, August 9, 2022

Mom Shaming

 It's a bit ridiculous to think that people find the only way to pick themselves up is to drag others down. I thought bullying was just something kids go through because they hadn't learned yet, I never thought it was something that happened in adulthood let alone within the sisterhood of mothers. Now, I am aware that as adults we will have the occasional jackass who will throw anyone under the bus to make themselves look better to their boss or a person they want to impress. And the wonderful thing about adulthood is that we can cut out all of the toxic people in our lives, and if its someone we have to deal with, for example a coworker or family member, we have learned how to deal with them just enough to not lose our minds.

But the most shocking thing to me was the mom shaming that revealed itself after I had my daughter. After she was born, everyone felt it was their job to form an opinion about her looks, the clothes I dressed her in, toys I bought for her, her development, and so on. For some reason, I'm really not quite sure, moms feel there is a competition to see who will win the gold as the "World Best Mom." Some have realized it, but sadly most haven't, we're really just trying to keep our tiny humans alive (not raise little assholes) while not losing sight of ourselves. Every now and then it's nice to have a sister, another mom, to chat with about the joys and vent to about the daily shit that we go through and maybe bounce an idea or two off of each other.

I hate to break it to you, but no one really cares whether or not you approve of another's parenting style. Honestly, if it bothers you that much, make a call to CPS because that's their job, otherwise shut it. Strong women are going to tell you to shove your opinion where the sun don't shine because we are in charge of our own lives and the rulers of our own homes.

As mothers we tend to question our parenting skills, but I'm here to tell you that your kids love you for you. No one can do what you do for your kids on a daily basis. There is not another person who can make your kids feel the way you do. If you question yourself, just look at them and see the love they have for you and you'll know that you're doing a pretty good job. Don't worry, we all learn one cry at a time.

Be unafraid to make a mistake because there is a lesson in it. Be unshaken in your parenting.

No comments:

Post a Comment